Installing Gnucash 2.0.3 on Slackware 11.0
(For Gnucash 1.8 and/or Slack 10, look here)
Last updated 25 Feb 2007
(email-address (my-last-name) (dot-com-domain "cgpp"))
Email me if you can't figure that out :)
If you do email me, try to put an interesting word
the message so that it will get past my spam filter.
I recently installed Gnucash 2.0.3 on a Slackware 11.0
system. Unfortunately, I didn't take careful notes but here's a rough
outline. The good news is that all the Gnome dependencies are taken
care of by Dropline Gnome.
I found that the guile 1.8.0 that Slackware 11 ships with created
problems. Problems too with g-wrap 1.9.x and slib 3a4. Maybe I wasn't
doing something right with them but at this point I'm happy to declare
This two-line script was useful for checking out the guile/g-wrap/slib
- fresh Slackware 11.0 installation
- full Dropline install (v. 2.16)
- removepkg guile-1.8.0-i486-1
- install guile 1.6.8 from sources.
- install g-wrap 1.3.4 from sources. This has to be done after re-installing guile.
- install slib 2d6. See below for details.
I don't know where an "official" release is but here's the
file I installed it from: slib2d6.zip. I had it lying around from an earlier Gnucash install.
- ./configure && make && make install.
- It used to be that you had to start up Gnucash once as root. I don't know
if it's still necessary (I did it anyway).
- Install the gnucash-docs package. I used v. 2.0.1 and it was a straight configure/make/make install.
guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"
guile -c "(use-modules (g-wrap))"
... without having to re-run gnucash's configure script over and over.
I am grateful to R.J. Marquette for these instructions,
which (once again) are ripped off verbatim from his
Gnucash on Slackware page.
- Get version 2d6; 3a1 is missing a file that gnucash requires.
- Unpack slib2d6.tar.gz into /usr/share/guile/1.6/ (creates slib dir)
- Just to be on the safe side, chown -R root:root slib
- As root, enter the command: guile -l
- At the guile prompt, type: (require 'new-catalog).
- Then, exit guile by typing: (exit).
If you run into trouble or have any corrections, by all means let me know.
Back to my home page.